Forfeited Land / Auditor Sales
NEXT AUDITOR'S SALE: **POSTPONDED**
The 2020 Guernsey County Forfeited Land Sale scheduled for October 7, 2020, at the Pritchard Laughlin Civic Center has been cancelled due to safety concerns.
While it was a difficult decision, we have decided to cancel the forfeited land sale due to the overwhelming response to pre-registration. It has been determined that we would be unable to safely accommodate all participants attending the sale.
The forfeited land sale will be re-scheduled for a future date. The Guernsey County Auditor would like to thank the community for their exceptional interest in the forfeited land sale during these challenging times.
Registration Begins at 10:00am
- Valid Drivers License or State ID
- 10% down: Cash, Bank Money Order, Personal or Certified Check
“Every tract of land foreclosed upon for delinquent taxes or a tax lien that has been properly offered for sale on two separate occasions, not less than two weeks apart and not sold shall be forfeited to the State of Ohio and the County Auditor will offer it for sale to the highest bidder”.
All sales come with the cautionary “As-Is” “Where-is” and “Buyer Beware” labels. Parcels are not available for tour or inspection before the Auditor’s Sale. The Guernsey County Auditor has no keys for access to any building and gives no warranty or guarantee on any building or property, nor is the Guernsey County Auditor responsible for the condition of the buildings or property. Terms of sale are as follows:
- Properties are subject to easements, restrictions, reservations and zoning regulations of record. The entire legal description of the property will not be read due to the length of it.
- Parcels are offered in a sequence of Sale #1 for the lesser of the Auditor’s Fair Market Value or the total of all costs, taxes and charges.
- If any of the parcels fail to sell at this minimum bid, they are offered again in Sale #2 immediately following for the best possible bid.
- No person delinquent on real property taxes in the State of Ohio may purchase a property at an Auditor’s Sale.
- No owner of record or a member of their immediate family prior to the judgment of foreclosure or forfeiture may purchase the property for less than the total amount of taxes, assessments, penalties, interest and costs.
- Unsold parcels from Sale #1 and Sale #2 will be re-offered at a future Auditor’s Sale.
- Full bid price and down payments may be cash, bank money order, or personal or certified checks. Successful Bidder must pay a non-refundable down payment (10% of the total due or $100.00, whichever is greater, and is due the day of the sale. The non-refundable down payment on the successful bid price (plus additional charges for deed fees, recording fees, and transfer fees) must be paid the day of the Auditor’s Sale for all properties.
- If successful bid is not paid in full on the date of the sale, the winning bidder must, within ten (10) business days from the sale, produce and return to the Guernsey County Auditor the Certificate of Sale along with any bid balance due.
- FINALIZATION OF SALE - FULL AND FINAL PAYMENTS MUST BE MADE WITHIN TEN (10) BUSINESS DAYS FROM THE DATE OF SALE. NO EXTENSION OF TIME WILL BE GRANTED. IF PAYMENT IS NOT MADE IN FULL ON THE 10th BUSINESS DAY, THE SUCCESSFUL BIDDER WILL FORFEIT ANY MONIES PAID AND THE PARCEL(S) WILL BE OFFERED TO THE BACK-UP BIDDER FOR THE SAME PRICE. BACK-UP BIDDERS WILL THEN BE GIVEN TEN (10) BUSINESS DAYS TO PAY IN FULL.
- PROPERTY SOLD AT THE FORFEITED LAND SALE WILL NOT TRANSFER TO THE SUCCESSFUL BIDDER UNTIL THE DEED IS DELIVERED TO THE GUERNSEY COUNTY RECORDER. THIS PROCESS COULD TAKE UPTO THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER THE SALE DATE. SUCCESSFUL BIDDER CANNOT ENTER THE PROPERTY, ALTER IT, OR REMOVE ANYTHING FROM THE PROPERTY UNTIL OWNERSHIP IS FINALIZED BY THE DEED BEING RECORDED AT THE GUERNSEY COUNTY RECORDER OFFICE.
- SUCCESSFUL BIDDER IS A COMPANY - INCLUDE BUSINESS FILING DOCUMENTS VALIDATING THE COMPANY’S STATUS WITH THE SECRETARY OF STATE. APPROPRIATE SCREEN PRINTS FROM THE SECRETARY OF STATE WEBSITE WILL SUFFICE.
- SALES ARE CONDUCTED BASED SOLELY UPON THE PERMANENT PARCEL NUMBER OF THE PROPERTY. THE ACCURACY/INACCURACY OF ADDRESSES PROVIDED IN THE COUNTY RECORDS MAY BE ADDRESSED AT THE GUERNSEY COUNTY MAP DEPARTMENT.
- ALL SALES ARE FINAL – ALL PAYMENTS AND DEPOSITS MADE ON THE DAY OF THE SALE ARE NON-REFUNDABLE. SALE OR NON-SALE OF AUDITOR FORFEITED LAND SALE PARCELS ARE FINAL AT THE STRIKE OF THE GAVEL.